THIRD SUNDAY AFTER THE EPIPHANY January 23, 2022
ORDER OF WORSHIP: LSB — Divine Service Setting Three, pgs. 184ff
HYMNS: 395 - 839 - 917
SERMON: “The Ears of All the People Were Attentive”
TEXT: Nehemiah 8:3
A PRAYER FOR TODAY:
Hear us, dear Father, when we pray
For needed help from day to day
That as Your children we may live,
Whom You baptized and so received.
(LSB, #865, stanza 3)
IN OUR PRAYERS THIS WEEK:
“Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over
me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression” (Psalm 19:13).
▪ That our Father will give to us, and we will always be thankful to Him for, our daily bread.
▪ That the Holy Spirit will open our ears to His Word, our eyes to see clearly the path of righteousness on which we are to walk, and our mouths to boldly and courageously confess Jesus Christ crucified, risen, and living and reigning to all eternity.
▪ That our words, deeds, and actions will value God’s gift of human life at all ages and in all stages of development.
▪ That our hearts and hands may be open to the poor and needy so that we will generously give of our abundance to help and supply their needs.
▪ That those who govern us will seek justice for the evildoer and will approve all that is good and right and godly.
THE VOTERS’ ASSEMBLY will meet today in the church basement after worship.
THE CORRECTED ELECTION BALLOT FOR 2021:
For Vice-President - Robert Barnes and Gary Condict; Elder - Ken Jorns, Derek Liggett and Ron Schwertfeger; Trustee - Cannon Burns and Robert Hall; Sunday School Superintendent - Terri Liggett and Marianne McGuire; Bd of Evangelism - Helen Condict and Samantha Houtwed; and Finance Board - Gary McGuire and Donna Tritsch.
CHRIST FOR YOU this week on KFUO.org: Study Luke 4-5 on Sharper Iron's "The Beloved Physician's Orderly Account" (weekdays at 8:00 a.m. CT), hear stories from National Lutheran Schools Week on The Coffee Hour (weekdays at 9:00 a.m. CT), and study Matthew 12-13 on Thy Strong Word (weekdays at 11:00 a.m. CT). Listen live or on demand at kfuo.org and the KFUO Radio app.
KANSAS DISTRICT LIFE CONFERENCE . . . This will be held this Tuesday, January 25th, at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Topeka, Kansas, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The keynote speaker will be Rev. Dr. Jim Lamb with the theme “A Time to Speak.” Special guest will be Deaconess Tiffany Manor, Director, LCMS Life Ministry. Within the schedule will be an opportunity to participate in the Topeka Rally for Life for those choosing to do so.
NOTES ON THE SCRIPTURE READINGS TODAY . . . The Lord is manifested as our Savior through the preaching of the Gospel. When Jesus opens His mouth to preach, gracious words flow from His lips. The Scriptures are, indeed, fulfilled in your hearing (Luke 4:21–22). For Christ was anointed by the Spirit of the Lord “to proclaim good news to the poor,” “to proclaim liberty to the captives” and “to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor” (Luke 4:18–19). By this proclamation, Christ releases His people from captivity and gathers them to Himself in His Church. So it was when the Lord released His people from Babylon and returned them to Jerusalem. “Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people,” sanctified the whole congregation by the reading and preaching of the Law (Neh. 8:8–9). As the people then were urged to “eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready” (Neh. 8:10), so are you anointed by the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ to share in His feast and to serve the fellow members of His Body with His good gifts, “giving greater honor to the part that lacked it” (1 Cor. 12:12, 24).
REV. CLIFFORD AND LOIS WINTER of Wichita will host international travel opportunities in 2022.
• During September 14-24, there will be a tour of Alpine Europe, visiting Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, culminating in the Oberammergau Passion Play (which was postponed from 2020.) The cost of $3999 includes round trip airfare from New York, first class tickets to the Passion Play, and private motorcoach. Openings are limited.
• From December 7-16, celebrate Christmas on the Rhine, featuring Germany’s Christmas Markets. Visits will be made to Cologne, Rudesheim, Strasbourg, Rothenburg, Nuremberg, Munich and more. The cruise will be aboard the new MS Amadeus Imperial; land portion will be by private motorcoach. The price, starting at $3699, includes round trip airfare from Chicago.
• Both tours include first class hotels, professional guides, most meals, admission fees, porterage, and all transfers. Call or email for a brochure: (316) 461 2593 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, find a brochure at the south entrance of the church.
HEAD USHER: Gary McGuire ALTAR COMMITTEE: Donna Tritsch
USHERS: Kathie Thurman Terri Liggett
ST. PAUL LUTHERAN CHURCH EQUIPS, ENABLES, AND ENCOURAGES ITS MEMBERS TO GROW IN FAITH AND SHARE CHRIST’S LOVE WITH ALL PEOPLE.
TODAY - 8:00 am – The Lutheran Hour, KGNO (Dodge City, 1370 AM)
8:00 am – The Lutheran Hour, KCVW (Wichita, Hutch., 94.3
8:25 am – The Lutheran Hour, KMMM (Pratt, 1290 AM)
8:30 am – The Lutheran Hour, KWBW (Hutchinson, 1450 AM)
10:00 am – St. Paul Radio Broadcast, KMMM (Pratt, 1290 AM)
6:00 pm – The Lutheran Hour, KREJ (88.1FM)
MONDAY - 8:00 - 11:00 am – Secretary’s office hours
TUESDAY - 9 am - 2 pm - Ladies Quilt Group
5:00 - 6:30 pm – Bread of Life Community Kitchen open – Pratt
WEDNESDAY - 8:00 - 11:00 am – Secretary’s office hours
6:30 pm - Midweek Classes
7:00 pm - Choir Rehearsal
THURSDAY - 6:30 pm - Ladies and Men’s Bible Study
FRIDAY - 8:00 - 11:00 am - Secretary’s office hours
SUNDAY - 9:00 am - Combined Sunday School Breakfast
10:00 am - Divine Service
THE LUTHERAN HOUR – “Caught” (Luke 4:38-5:16) Words have power to catch the listener, the power of Jesus’ words and story, even more so. Speaker: Rev. Dr. Michael Zeigler.
COME TO BREAKFAST next Sunday, January 30th. This will be held during our 9:00 am Sunday School Hour. Everyone is welcome!
THE SUNDAY SCHOOL OFFERING this quarter of January, February and March will be going to support the work of M.O.S.T. ministries.
A NOTE FROM RITA KRUSEMARK. . . Please pray for Connie Krusemark’s sister, Kyle Ann Payne. If you would like to send her a card in her time of serious illness, her address is: 32485 West 92nd Street, DeSoto, KS 66018.
About the Cover: As Jesus unrolled the scroll of Isaiah to read, those gathered saw the fulfillment of Scriptures right before their eyes. The Spirit is upon Him-- the Spirit who descended upon Him in His Baptism, drove Him out into the wilderness, and worked through His mission to lift up the poor, captive, blind, and oppressed. This is the year of the Lord’s favor. In Christ, we stand in an eternity of the Lord’s favor, for He has died and risen to lift us up, heal us, and set us free from sin and death.
OLD TESTAMENT READING - Nehemiah 8:1-3, 5-6, 8-20
EPISTLE - I Corinthians 12:12-31a
HOLY GOSPEL - Luke 4:16-30